A psychiatrist, unlike other mental health professionals, such as psychologists and counsellors must be medically qualified doctors who have chosen to specialise in psychiatry. This means they can prescribe medication, rule out physical health conditions that may be presenting the symptoms of mental illness as well as recommend other forms of treatment.
Mental health conditions that may be diagnosed and treated by a psychiatrist include:
- obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- personality disorders
- schizophrenia and paranoia
- depression and bipolar disorder
- eating disorders, such as anorexia and bulimia
- sleep disorders, such as insomnia
- addictions, such as drug or alcohol misuse
All our psychiatrists have very considerable experience in assessing clients. We will work with you to match you to one of our doctors with the most suitable experience to your needs.